Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Challah Back!

Despite having a bunch of homework to work on today, I decided I'd try out this new High-Altitude Challah Bread recipe that I stumbled across a few days ago. I first made challah bread last December and my younger siblings absolutely loved it (and it doesn't hurt that the name sounds like slang, ie "Holla!") they ate an entire loaf within a couple of hours! They've been asking me to make another loaf for a while and since I found this recipe (which makes just one loaf - most recipes you can find online will make 2 or even 3 large loaves) I decided to go ahead and make some.

This recipe came out pretty good, I probably should have let it rise a little more, but it still tasted good, and as always, the crust with the egg wash was beautiful! We had learned last time I made this bread that it makes really awesome french toast, but tonight we learned that it's good for grilled cheese sandwiches too!

(Note the icky fake cheese that comes in plastic squares - obviously this was not MY sandwich!)
The nice thing about making bread is that you can do things between kneadings and risings which makes it a perfect baking activity to do while doing homework because it gives you a short break from studying every hour or so!

I should get back to homework now!

No comments: