Saturday, March 21, 2009

COOKIES!

(Photo by Kaylynne Michelle Art and Photography)

Today my sweet tooth started to act up a bit, however, since I'm trying to force encourage myself to eat healthier, I decided to use one of my psuedo-healthy cookie recipes (I've tried two, but I have a bunch saved in my bookmarks to try later on). I made my favorite "Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Flaxseed Cookies" (which my younger siblings and my mother all enjoy despite the addition of flaxseed and oatmeal) using my own variation on a recipe which I found online a long time ago (and I have yet to find the original website again, however in searching for the original recipe I discovered that there is a variation of this recipe called 'lactation cookies' which includes brewer's yeast in the ingredients - apparently brewer's yeast and flaxseed can help to increase lactation in breastfeeding women, who knew!)

Anyway, I thought I'd go ahead and post the original recipe on here - everyone should try these awesome cookies (and you can tell yourself that they're a necessary addition to your diet because they're 'healthy')

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Flaxseed Cookies

Ingredients:

1 c butter or margarine

1 c sugar

1c brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2 c all purpose flour

1 c oatmeal

½ c ground flaxseed

½ tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

2 c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°

1) Cream margarine or butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.

2) Mix flour, oatmeal, flaxseed, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir into creamed mixture, add chocolate chips.

3) Form into 1 in balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet leaving 2 in between cookies

Bake 350° for 10 min.

My variation is basically a couple changes in ingredient amounts (cut the sugar and flour, add more flaxseed) and the addition of cinnamon.

Now if you don't know about flaxseed, you should know it doesn't do much to affect the taste of the cookies (because it's really more of a flour when its been ground), and it helps lower cholesterol and blood pressure and there are some studies which suggest that flaxseed can even help to fight against heart disease, diabetes, and even breast cancer. So enjoy these cookies and their benefits!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these cookies! So delicious! :)